Patios have become increasingly popular across America. Almost three out of five new houses have them. Common accessories include fire pits, barbecue grills and Adirondack chairs. To learn more about this appealing outdoor living trend, check out these facts:
1. Some of the most common surface materials include flagstone, brick, concrete, cobblestone and terracotta. The most suitable choice differs depending on the local climate and personal preferences. Many patios are rectangular or square, but circular designs and other shapes are also possible.
2. A patio can be covered with a pergola. This is a wooden grid supported by columns. Some owners grow vines over their pergolas; desirable species include wisteria and Virginia creeper. Other individuals choose to install fiberglass panels on the top.
3. The first patios existed in Spain and were based on a Roman creation known as the atrium. They were incorporated into the designs of some palaces and cathedrals in the 1400s. Spanish colonists eventually introduced patios to the western hemisphere by building them in South America.
4. During the 1950s, this outdoor living area rapidly gained popularity in the United States. Many people also bought barbecue grills and weather-resistant furnishings. Metal and plastic outdoor chairs became available, making it easier to use furniture outside without extensive maintenance work.
5. Today’s patios continue to provide many benefits. They raise the resale values of homes. Their hard, quick-drying surfaces deter pest insects and help extend the life of outdoor furnishings. The flame-resistant materials are easy to clean and demand much less upkeep than wooden decks or porches.
If you yearn to spend more time outdoors and enjoy barbecues, parties or relaxation on a patio, we can help. Our patio contractors in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Ft Worth Texas know how to construct safe, long-lasting outdoor living areas with attractive designs. Please contact us for a quote or further information.